The church now known as the First Congregational of Gray was established over two hundred years ago. Please click on the links below to read a detailed history of our church and community:
Some Highlights:* 1736: The township of New Boston (later Gray) is authorized. Settlement occurs slowly over the next decades due to war and hardship.
* 1774: The first Parish Church is established in the center of the settlement.
* 1812-1816: The War of 1812 and the "Year of No Summer" cause difficult conditions to all in the region.
* 1829: The Portland Road as planned will pass through the initial church building. A new building is erected at the current location a short distance from the town center.
* 1901: The church is successful at raising the funds necessary to construct a third (and current) church building. Soon after, a reed organ is also purchased and installed.
* 1912: The church becomes officially incorporated as the First Congregational Church of Gray.
* 1935: Only $381 is collected in offerings for the year. The church survives the Great Depression through careful investment by the Trustees of its endowment fund.
* 1957: The United Church of Christ is formed from a combination of Congregational and other churches.
* 1958: A church Book of Remembrance is begun, containing history, photographs and newspaper clippings.
* 1973: The Parish House (fellowship hall) opposite the church is dedicated after four years of construction.
* 1998: A new parsonage is purchased and refurbished, directly across from church.
* 2000: The church web site is established.
* 2001: In January of 2001, the church celebrated the centennial of the construction of the church building. Church history was reviewed, and greeting and visits were received from former pastors.
History information last updated: April 2, 2010
Photographs on these pages are borrowed from the personal collections of Jeff Ferguson and Nancy McMinn unless otherwise stated. All photos copyright (c)2009-2010, and are used with permission.